Thursday, January 06, 2011

Make Ahead Dinner with Moroccan Flair

About four months ago, when my little guy starting eating dinner with us, it was important to me to plan healthy, nutritious meals for our family to sit down and eat together.  Since we found out about Ben's food intolerances, meal planning has become critical.  I will be spending more time on meal planning in future posts.  Today, I want to share with you an awesome make-ahead meal that all three of us love.  If you and/or your kids are a fan of beans - garbanzo beans in particular, you will love Spicy Moroccan Chickpeas!  This one-pot dish is featured in November's Cooking Light magazine! 

Some changes I made to the recipe:
  • Substituted 1 tbsp. of curry for the Ras al Hanout (a Moroccan spice blend) - they are very similar and I had curry on hand!
  • Substituted chopped spinach for the escarole
  • Eliminated almonds to make the recipe allergen friendly
  • I did not have cilantro or mint on hand, but it turned out wonderful without it!
  • Another allergen-friendly change - substitute brown rice for couscous
I made this the night before, but it in a Pyrex dish and warmed it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees when I got home from work!  Easy clean up and so delicious!  Enjoy!

No comments: