On top of the breakfast suggestions below, Taiha also recommended that we give our little guy a fish oil supplement in the morning or mid-day. I tell EVERY mom I can about this - I cannot tell you how strongly I believe in providing this supplement to your children - not only for immunity, but for brain development, skin health, etc. (do your research, you will be a believer!) You can buy Barlean's Omega Swirl at any health food store - take two teaspoons per day. They have wonderful flavors - our little guy loves it and we have seen such positive results from it!
The biggest thing I have learned from Taiha and my own "mommy research" is that boxed cereal and toast are not going to cut it - my son burned through that type of breakfast way too quickly, and so do I!
Breakfast ideas for your kids (and for you!):
- Plain oatmeal mixed with milk instead of water (for a fast breakfast, we microwave milk and instant oatmeal and mix a tsp. of agave nectar into it, then I add frozen blueberries or raspberries to cool it down and add more flavor - a huge hit with my little guy!) tip: for an extra affordable route, you can buy the plain oatmeal in bulk and separate it into individual servings, add a 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar and some raisins to each serving and it will be ready to go when you need it!
- Lean turkey roll-ups and cheese with whole grain or gluten free/allergen free crackers (it sounds a little weird, but kids don't know the difference between breakfast and lunch - if they like it, they'll eat it! Spread a little hummus on the turkey before you roll it for extra protein and fiber!)
- Super Smoothie - when we are trying to get out the door to work and day care, we use our personal blender (this is the one that we have - love it!) to make our little one a "super smoothie." Recipe: One-half of a banana, 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries (if you choose to, you can add 1/4 cup of another frozen fruit (mango, peaches, etc.), 3/4 cup of baby spinach leaves (I pull the little stems off), 2 tsp. Omega Swirl Fish Oil and a blend of whole milk and water (enough liquid to blend, I eyeball it). Put it in a no leak straw sippee cup - our little guy LOVES them! (He actually drinks one of these every day!) Make one for yourself while you are at it! :)
- Another on-the go idea: Cut up grapes or a half of a banana, string cheese and a few crackers (you can't go wrong!)
- Pancakes made with quinoa flour and fresh berries: A weekend treat. Sub in quinoa flour for great, nutty flavor and an awesome punch of protein and fiber. Totally guilt free!